Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:51:40 -0800
A small boy lived by the ocean.  He loved the creatures of the sea,
especially the starfish, and spent much of his time exploring the
seashore.  One day he learned there would be a minus tide that would
leave the starfish stranded on the sand.  The day of the tide he went
down to the beach and began picking up stranded starfish and tossing them
back into the sea.  An elderly man who lived next door came down to the
beach to see what he was doing.  "I'm saving the starfish," the boy
proudly declared.  When the neighbor saw all the stranded starfish, he
shook his head and said, "I'm sorry to disappoint you young man, but if
you look down the beach one way, there are stranded starfish as far as
the eye can see.  And if you look down the beach the other way, it's the
same.  One little boy like you isn't going to make much of a difference."
The boy thought about this for a moment.  Then he reached his small hand
down to the sand, picked up a starfish, tossed it out into the ocean and
said, "I sure made a difference for that one."

Mr. DJ88Nascar2 writes:
>If you really think that you can stop the sale of small animals in a
>nation wide chain of stores...you should find something better to do
>with your time,

And in the words of Margaret Mead (famous anthropologist): "Never doubt
that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world.  Indeed,
it is the only thing that ever has."

Personally, I can't think of anything better to do with my time than to
stop the "nation wide chain of stores" from contributing to the excess
animal population.

Mrs. DJ88Nascar1 writes:
>That website has misinformation about PETCO and the treatment of their
>animals...How do I know you are asking?  I am a PETCO employee and there
>is NO animals whatsoever being harmed...There are a few in our area and
>I know for a fact that none of them harm animals or anything of the
>sorts..."

As Mr. DJ88Nascar2 states, Petco is a national chain and unless you have
personally visited each store, couldn't it be possible that YOUR store
along with a few others might be the exception rather than the rule?

And since I'm expressing my opinion, I might as well go all the way and
say - As long as there are thousands of unwanted animals being killed in
animal shelters each year, nobody has any business breeding or selling
them.  That includes Marshall Farms AND Petco.  I applaud anyone who
has the fortitude to stand up and fight rather than just look on and do
nothing.