From:
Grace Stahre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 20:11:17 -0500
I have always prided myself in being a wonderful, and faithful ferret owner.
My two have always been pampered and never been sick.

I am from Okahoma, and when I purchased my two ferts about four years ago,
the local vet didn't want anything to do with them.  He would only confirm
that -yes, Agatha and Ozzy were girls.  He refused to give them any shots
since he didn't think they were in any danger of acquiring anything, being
indoor pets, and he really was not familiar with their treatment.

Recently Ozzy, who had always been very athletic and svelte, began to lose
weight, lose fur, and space out.  I took both ferrets to a vet here in
Austin where I am going to college.  For four years I have adored and cooed
over "my GIRLS".  But Yesterday I learned that I actually have two bouncing
middle-aged BOYS.  Give me a rock to crawl under.... I don't love them any
less, but I was more than a little shocked, to say the least.

But more important, it turns out that Ozzy has insulinoma.  Her blood sugar
was at 40 (normal being around 90-110 I believe).  I was given the option of
medication ($5-6/ month) or surgery ($500-575).  I was told medication may
prolong her life about 9 months, while surgery might have double the effect.

I am a college student.  I love my Ozzy dearly.  My Girls/Guys are my
children.  But $500 surgery, on top of the $100 vet visit and blood work, is
really out of my ballpark.  I know where there's a will, there's a way.  But
I don't know if this surgery is what is best.  She/He doesn't seem to be in
any pain.  She is already four years old.  I really would greatly appreciate
any advice available.  I know at the least I would pursue the medication.

Grace (My babies aren't GIRLS!!!! Wait til my mother hears I've been living
with two men.)

Agatha-->Agathon!! ( Ha! Mom always thought I was lazy! Now she knows why!
Did I hear a beer can?)

Ozzy-- (The hellraiser must rest.)