From:
Melissa Bell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:04:29 -0400
After reading about the tragedy of a ferret losing his life to a wild
leap from the top of a cage, I thought I'd post how we "cured" Mischief,
my master climber.

After the umpteenth time of finding Mischy on top of the cage (4.5 feet
high), my DH went to Home Depot and got 4 pieces of plexiglass cut about
8"inches high and the width of each side of the cage.  He drilled holes
in each corner (and at the center edges on the long sides) and we used
zip ties to attach these to the sides of the cage, about 2 feet off the
ground.  This made a smooth surface past which Mischief couldn't climb.
She was immensely frustrated!  And I was immensely relieved to come home
from work and find her furry little butt safely on the floor instead of
perched on the cage, contemplating where she could go next.

If your budget is tight I'd imagine pieces of cardboard would do in a
pinch.  8-10 inches high, placed about 1.5-2 feet ("ferret reach") above
the floor, should do the trick!

I hope this helps.

Melissa Bell
Max, Merlin, Buddy & Fae...missing Mischief