From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:23:00 EST
BobC wrote:
>seen it myself, although in the case I saw, I thought the feret was reacting
>with a maternal instinct reather than a hunting one.  I've also noticed a
>lot more reactions from female ferrets to squeals, squeaks, and cries than
>from males.  So, at this point I don't think you can define the action as
>either "maternal" *OR* "hunting." But your other statements are way off...

I've observed a *far* greater interest in our two girls for sqeaks and high-
pitched noises then in our two boys.  Heck, I think a squeeky little mouse
would have to dance right over the top of the boys to get them interested.
The girls, however, will check out every squeek, squack, and whistle.  Is it
a hunting or maternal instinct?  Is it both at the same time?  I can't say.

Although Pippi is quite the mischievous and spritely ferret, she is also our
nanna ferret.  When others have been sick, recovering from surgery and the
like, she stays with her ill friend only leaving briefly to use the litter
box and to eat.  Her dedication is quite amazing.  From watching Pippi play,
we can tell that she, of all our ferrets, would make the most successfully
hunter.  I pity the poor mouse that ever crosses her path.  It will be a
mistake that the mouse won't have to regret for long.  ;)

While growing up, we had a number of outdoor cats.  (One of the hazards of
living in the "country" and having a barn is that people drop cats at your
place.  We were not ones who could turn away hungry animals so we would end
up with quite a number of cats.) Some of the cats were terrific hunters and
some could care less.  I seem to recall that the best hunters were often the
females who also happened to be good mothers.

It makes sense to me that if an animal hears their instincts clearly in one
area that they may hear them clearly in others.  So reacting to squeeks
could be a matter of both hunting and maternal instincts kicking in.

Just my $.02......;)

-kim, squirt (cuddle me!), pippi (sock assassin extraordinare), atlas (the
 ferret who would be king), and jinx (the fuzzy shadow)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.