From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:21:28 -0400
Did anyone else see the news on CBS for the tri-state area?  They did a
short piece on the court challenge to the Health Dept.'s ruling against
ferrets.  (There has to be a court challenge in addition to the legislative
challenge because the Guiliani Administration is flying in the face of NY
State law and in the face of the City Charter which defines the balance of
powers, trying to take more territory form the legislative branch as often
happens with this administration.)

Anyway, CBS did a short piece on it, and then one of the anchors turned
to the weatherman and mentioned that he knows some ferrets, and then the
weatherman volunteered that yes, he has friends with ferrets and went on
to praise ferrets and tell how they are wonderful pets.  I think that CBS
deserves some thank you letters from FLM people for having informed and
fair people on their local tri-state area news show, don't you?

Did anyone see any of the other new shows' coverage of this?  I'll be
following it more later if family concerns permit.

Steve said there was something on NPR during his drive home, but he came in
late so missed all but the end, and didn't know if it was from the local
affiliate (WNYC) or if whatever was said was from NPR's All Things
Considered itself.  I haven't had the time, yet, to listen to the npr.org
website to find out.

What have you heard, read, and seen in the media?  Which stations deserve
thank you letters from ferret people, and which need educational materials?

Have to get in touch with the lawyer on the case, though.  Got copies of
the complaint and memorandum of law plus a cover letter, and for some
reason he thinks I'm with Marshall farms for which I have never worked.
Have to clear that up.  I expect it's because I made MF aware of the case
just in case they would be willing to help with some of the information
gathering, witness location, and costs.  They probably mentioned that I'd
told them about it and then -- whoops -- I got mislabeled as being part of
MF (which is even in a different state than us).  Oh, well...

Steve and I did give to help fund the case.  Anyone else who wants to
help can also send a check to the law firm involved:
Irving Heisler and Associates
545 Madison Ave., 15th Floor
NY, NY 10022

I think that what they are saying is persuasive; hope it works in court.

Sukie