From:
LT Bobby Petty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1993 22:38:30 -0500
        I have a real problem on my hands and I need help
ASAP! I'm in the Air Force and live on base. To make a long
story short, I took my ferret to the base vet (an Army
veterarian), and he made a recommendation to the commander
to not allow me to keep the ferret on base due to public
health concerns.
        I'm fairly well-versed in the debate about
ferrets, whether or not they're wild, if the
recently-approved USDA vaccination actually keeps the
critters from getting rabies and the very random ferret
attacks on UNsupervised infants. I've spoken with
representives from the Army's Health Services Command and
American Veterarian Medical Association and know that there's
no military regulation that forbids ferrets on base. Most
vets just alert commanders of the potential threats and
most commanders decide not to take the liability of
having such an animal on base. But the decision is
ultimately up to each commander.
        I'm sure I can pursuade my commander to allow the
ferret on base. But I need to assure him there's neglible
threat if I keep the ferret caged when unsupervised,
don't let it outside, and don't let it around children.
I need to know:
        - About the few documented cases of ferret attacks
        - Is there PROOF the vaccination actually keeps
ferrets from getting rabies (Note: according to a AVMA
official, although the vacciation is USDA-approved, there
is very little research on ferret rabies incubation and
therefore, the animal must be euthanized to verify it did
not have rabies)?
        - Where are ferrets legal by states? (they are
legal in Texas, but are still considered wild; wild
animals are not allowed to keep on base [that IS a
regulation!])
        - What military bases allow ferrets? (I remember
someone on this list telling me that Tinker AFB allows
ferrets, but according to the vet there who I spoke with
yesterday, that is not the case [at least currently])
        - What are the arguments defending ferrets as NOT
being wild animals?

        If I can save my ferret, I plan to go on and try
to set a standard which may be used Air Force-wide to
allow ferrets on other bases. I need to base these
arguments on facts regularly recognized by most vets.
Emotional appeals won't work. I _KNOW_ the "domesticated"
ferret cannot (usually) survive in the wild, but as far
as the AVMA is concerned, ferrets are catagorized as
being as wild as the black-footed ferret. And that's what
the military recognizes as well!
        If you can help me with this, I will be in your debt.

Bobby Petty
CServe 75450,533 OR
Internet [log in to unmask]

(P.S.-- I'm currently getting help from the FLC in Ft
Worth and a STAR representative in New Jersey. If you
have any contacts, please post them for me and all else
to see. Thanx...)