From:
Katie Arthur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:02:11 EST
Hi Everyone.

Some of you might remember me from writing a little over a year ago about
being bitten by a ferret.  Actually he latched onto my hand and after 5
minutes of trying to get him off I resorted to holding him and my hand
under water until he let go.  Yes he survived this, and yes he was a
fear biter although I didn't know it at the time.  And yes, he was a
new intake in a shelter.  Anyway, I had a TERRIBLE infection in that
hand.  It required surgery, 5 days in the hospital, 4 weeks of IV therapy
at home, several months of occupational therapy, a LOT of pain and
suffering, and about $20,000 in medical bills and lost pay.  Did the
ferret have rabies?  NO.  Was he destroyed to find that out?  NO.  Was
he able to be rehabbed into a gentle loving pet?  YES.  The fact that
his previous owners had abused him wasn't his fault.  The cause of the
infection?  Probably from something in the water I used to get him off
of me, or maybe a 'germ' that was ON his fur and got into that water.
The cultures never grew out anything that a small animal might harbor.

Going back to that time, my initial reaction was to say "have him put
down, he'll never be able to be anyone's pet and life in a cage with no
free time is not a life for a ferret." Luckily for him and all involved
(me included) that didn't happen.  I don't think I could stand the guilt
I would have in my heart to this day had anyone listened to me.  And the
fact that I was saying those things in a fog of demerol probably didn't
help either.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I want to give a pat on the
back to you for standing up for that little fuzzball!  They rely on us
for their EVERY need.  They relate things to us in the only ways they
know how.  Be it a kiss, a look, a nip on the ankle, or an extremely
painful bite.  We've all had our little guys come up, lay next to us
and 'sigh' with that look on their face saying "I know something's wrong,
but I love you", when we're upset at something.  It's uncanny.  The laws
need to change in a lot of states.  The ER I first went to called the
local humane society here and were told that ferrets don't need ANY
vaccinations so there was nothing to worry about.  Yes, I've educated
them properly.  They now recommend distemper and rabies shots and ADV
testing to anyone interested in ferret ownership.

Kudos to everyone that's fighting for the rights, legalization, and
education of the public in regards to our little fuzzbutts!!

Katie