Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:00:45 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:
>they informed me that another shelter was taking 20 of them so they
>would be ok.  Yes, I am far away however, I had asked about doing a
>"rescue chain" to help.

Hi Joanne

I do not know what happened if you called someone at GCFA.  But there is
no one at GCFA to do a chain.  There just isn't.  But I hope that some
people contact you about possibly doing that after reading this.

GCFA does ask for volunteers in all the newsletters that barely get out
because the ferrets have to be cared for.  We are in such a need.
Anybody out there??

I think that you have to be 73 years old working from 7 am until 11 pm
every day to walk in the shoes of about the only volunteer there that is
there consistently.  Right now-they lost the summer kids, and 2 others
moved, and 2 people are on vacation.  The shelter is desperate for help
right now.

I have asked them to consider turning ferrets away.  No way.  That is not
their policy.  They do try and get them to keep the ferret or place an
add or look to friends.  BUT ... realize that most of these ferrets are
found dumped at pet stores or in the street or in a garage or about to be
euthenized at a cat or dog shelter where they were dumped.

So GCFA is going to end up with old ferrets, guys.  So you are seeing
the difference.  Shelters are closing.  And GCFA wont kill old ferrets
because they are old.  I do not think they are going to change their
minds on that call.  I really dont.

Again, Joanne-I do not have any idea what the board discussed, or what
you asked.  But there is no way there is anyone who can drive the
ferrets.  And I do know that they would have to meet or have serious
phone conversations with someone and see adoption forms and vote before
they would allow the transport of ferrets to any other shelter.  They
would obviously greatly prefer that people come in to adopt.

At least they have really large (falling apart, rusting, need to be
replaced) cages, are getting meds, and being syringe fed.  The board
members know the names of all these guys.  They can tell which bald guy
is who..  They have cozzy blankets and hammocks.  This IS a long standing
ferret shelter that CARES.  No way any group of helpless ferrets would
just get sent out unless the board felt it was positively in the ferrets
best interest .  You can understand and appreciate that.

But I hope your letter reaches people far and wide.  GCFA is in a
frightening position.  We need help very badly.  Money for adrenal
surgeries, for RENT, for past vet bills, for meds, and food, and litter,
and phone and.....

Any wealthy ferret loving people out there this morning?  Got a good tax
write off here to warm you heart.  Go to www.GCFA.com

PS * I am NOT on the board* I do not pretend to be.  I speak from
observation and concern and love.  I will be there Labor day weekend.

Any of you guys going?
Lisette