From:
"J. T. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:33:42 CDT
I posted for the first time around 10 days ago.  I was so proud of the
ferret I adopted 2 weeks ago named Heidi that I had nicknamed Hideykins,
since she loved to hide under the covers, she also had a fetish for chewing
leather.  Heidi quit eating and drinking last Sunday for some unknown
reason.  I force fed her all week and took her to the vet every day for
fluids.  I tried a third vet Friday and she wanted to keep her, put her
on an IV and injectable anti-biotics.  She did well Friday evening but
didn't make it through the night.  She was so tiny she didn't have any
reserves to fall back on.

The necropsy revealed an orange enlarged liver, pancreatitis, and an
inflamed stomach with ulcers, which started first and enflamed the others
nobody could tell, but that was why she wouldn't eat.  The vet and the lady
that runs the local shelter concluded it was poor food in her first home
compounded by her small size sped up these thing that usually only hit
ferrets twice Heidi's age.  The only comforting thought is that there was
nothing anyone could have done, even by the time she was surrendered to
the shelter.

It has been a hard week.  I only had her such a short time, 2 weeks with
one week of her being so sick.  I will always remember her licking my face
and chasing a golf ball all around the apartment, and her curled up fast
asleep on my chest.  She was a perfect ferret that I know awaits for me
at the front door of my heavenly home.

Sorry for all the bad news, I do already plan on getting another ferret,
one home bred by the local shelter, as soon as one is available to bring
home in about 8 weeks.  I held a couple of the little 3 week old kits
yesterday while playing with all the shelter's fuzzies.

Thank you for all the great posts on ferret antics, attitudes, and all the
rest of the informative, constructive missives.

J. T. Moore