From:
Donna Bear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 1996 22:45:10 -0600
HI there!!

I am a new new member to this list so I am not totally familiar with the
protocol, so please excuse me if I make a faux pas.  I have five ferrets,
the oldest 5 and half years and the youngest is 4 months old.  The oldest
has recently been diagonosed with a tumor on her spine which was originally
diagnosed as osteosarcoma (bone cancer) with no treatment avaiable.  I
accepted the diagnosis (it was the opinion of three vets) and mentally
prepared for my ferret (Tashi) to die.  However, plucky little Tashi had
other plans and is still going strong.  Knowing how fast humans with bone
cancer die I became suspicious of the diagnosis.  I decided to do my own
research and have found out that there has never been a case of osteosarcoma
diagnosed in ferrets.  There are several skeletal tumors but they may not be
malignant and (from what I understand) do not spread with the varacity of
bone cancer, can be treated by chemotherapy and alternate cancer treatments.
The tumor is on the area of her spine near her hips and has affected her
walking (she was originally diagnosed with arthritis in her hips) but that
has been brought under control with steroids.  She does not appear to be in
any pain, she definitely doesn't act like she is in pain, although she
sleeps alot.  She can do most of the things she used to do and she is eating
and drinking normally.  My vet gave me the option of doing a tumor biopsy so
we know exactly what we are dealing with.  The drawback with that is it will
be painful for her and she will be quite sore for awhile.  So I don't know
what to do, leave her be keep treating her with steroids, and hope for the
best.  Or put her through the biopsy to see what exactly the tumor is even
if the procedure will cause her to be in pain for an extended period of
time.  Any advice from anyone who has had similiar ferret medical experience
or from anyone with knowledge of skeletal tumors in ferrets?  I sure could
use it.

Thanks for your patience in reading this long diatribe.

Donna Bear