From:
Nancy Deren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:46:45 EDT
I searched the archives for this topic, but only found general advice
about ways to introduce new ferrets to old, and I'm looking for something
a little more specific.

I have two male ferrets from a shelter, Koda and Kenai, who are about
three years old.  I've had them for about six months, but they were
cagemates for over a year.  Koda, who is about half Kenai's size, is much
more playful and energetic, and I thought he could use a more active
playmate.  So we got a 4 month old male ferret who is about Koda's size.
During the first supervised play, Koda seemed to play nicely with the new
guy, although the new guy was scared, but then Kenai attacked and somehow
managed to draw blood on the roof of the new guy's mouth.  After blood
has been drawn, is it possible to get them to get along, or will there
always be animosity?  Does this mean there is too strong a visceral
dislike among these two, or might Kenai just have been playing too
roughly?  Is is possible that Kenai just can't be with anyone but Koda?
Right now we have our two older boys in their regular cage when they are
not roaming, and the new little one in a pen next to the cage.  Should I
try letting them play together again?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!
-Nancy