From:
Linda Mooring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:51:01 -0800
I submitted a question to "Ask the Experts" on tvgen
(http://www.tvgen.com/soaps) about the ferrets on the ABC soap, Port
Charles.  Here is my question and an interesting portion of their response
(if it's OK to repost, otherwise you can find the full response on
http://www.tvgen/soaps/al/index4.htm):

| Dear Don,
|
| Can you give me any information about the ferrets on Port Charles?
| Ferrets are illegal in CA, and PC is filmed there.  Few if any permits
| for legal ownership of ferrets even exist.  Who owns the ferrets on the
| show?  How did they arrange to film with ferrets?  Is PC releasing any
| information about this?  I don't watch the show, but once I heard a
| ferret was on, I've started to occasionally listen in to make sure
| they're portraying ferrets fairly.  Legalizing ferrets here in CA is a
| huge and frustrating task, and I'd love to find out that ABC might be
| an ally in the legalization wars.
| - Linda
|
| Dear Linda
| ... I called the show, and they confirmed my belief that although
| private ownership of ferrets in California may be illegal, animals
| used on television shows or in movies fall into a different category.
| These animals are owned by special trainers, or "wranglers," who
| supply the needed critters, and are on the set at all times to make
| sure their cuddly clients are not exploited or mistreated.  It's quite
| similar to babies on a show, ...

Anyone know if this is true?

Linda M.