Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:29:24 -0800
I've read of fuzzies predicting the onset of seizures (which is great),
but that in itself does not qualify them as a service animal. Just
alerting to a seizure doesn't count. A service animal must be
task-trained to mitigate its handler's disabilities.

For seizure alert or response some of these tasks may include:
1. Finding their partner help during or just before a seizure.
2. Calling 911 (or any other appropriate number) via a special phone
known as the k9 Rescue Phone.
3. By vigorously licking their partner's face on command to bring them
to full awareness after a seizure, which shortens the recovery time
considerably. Ava, my service dog in training, performs this task for
me on a daily basis. We're still working on the first.

Service animals have to be 100% housebroken, which ferrets aren't.

And their's also the very real possibility that a ferret could catch
something from being out in public.

Personally, if my fuzzies could alert me to an oncoming seizure, I
wouldn't take them out in public, simply for their own safety.

Randie