From:
Nancy Farlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:20:53 -0400
>My viewpoint hasn't changed - distemper in ferrets is 100% fatal, and a
>very ugly way to die - rashes, pus from the eyes and nose, loss of the
>immune system, diarrhea, pneumonia and death.  Not just the individual,
>but all other unprotected ferrets they come in contact with.
>
>There is no doubt that anaphylactic reactions do occur with vaccinations in
>ferrets - most commonly with Fervac-D, and to a lesser extent with Galaxy-D
>and Imrab, however with proper premedication with antihistamine, and close
>supervision for 30 minutes, the majority of reactions can be avoided or at
>least ameliorated.
>
>This is no amelioration of distemper in an unvaccinated animal - [They die
>of] this animal disease, but not without serving as a virus factory to pass
>on the disease to those around them.
>
>With kindest regards,
>Bruce Williams, DVM

I just wanted to add my personal experience (positive) for the benefit of
anyone who is reluctant to continue vaccinating after experiencing a
reaction.  One of my guys, Buckwheat, had a bad reaction to Fervac-D when
he was only two years old.  My vet recommended giving him no more distemper
vaccinations, but because I live in an area with lots of wild animals, I
didn't feel comfortable not protecting him, and explained this to my vet.
He agreed, and with good pretreatment, Bucky is now five years old and has
continued to get his yearly distemper and rabies shots (now with Galaxy
instead of Fervac-D), and has had NO MORE REACTIONS!

I do stay at my vets office for at least 45 minutes after the vaccination
(for all my ferrets) just in case.  Bucky's initial reaction took longer
than 30 minutes to begin, so personally I don't feel like 30 minutes is
long enough to be safe.  But I feel much better knowing all my little guys
are protected from this terrible disease.

Nancy and critters