From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:07:28 -0500
>Anyone have any reliable websites or books that give normal CBC blood
>values for ferrets?  I am doing a case study in my avian and exotic class
>and I need to know normal values.

I don't have the authors handy for the Australian and British texts,
but the North American ones are by Karen Purcell (most recent and most
accessible), James Fox (most detailed and least accessible), and by Kathy
Quesenberry and Liz Hillyer (between the two in detail and accessibility).
Saunders will be printing a new edition of the last later this year.  If
you are in a vet or vet tech school they should have at least one of
these texts in the library.

Also see the sites below and use search engine in the first but be sure
to hit "next" because it searches in clumps and be sure to remember that
Yahoogroups will be down from part of the 15th into the 17th.
http://geocities.com/sukielist

Within the second you'll find within the AFIP site a section on common
veterinary errors in relation to ferrets of interest since it partly
involves misinterpretation of liver values.

To ask a question on the fHL you need to join (though non-members can
read it on-site and use most features).  You may join from the site, OR
by sending a blank mail from the addy you want used to
[log in to unmask], then waiting a while and
sending a second blank mail to [log in to unmask] .
The FHL has existed for a bit over a year and many vet comments can be
found there in the current and back posts, in the files, in bookmarked
sites, etc.  It's really not hard to look up info on wide range of health
topics in it.

The geocities site above has links to a range of health-related websites.

SODA POP: caffeine is many soda pops; like some other substances it is
VERY BAD if circulatory disease is present.  It may appear to give short
boost but it can do damage.  Caffeine also is linked to worsening
inflammation, so any ferret with anything inflammatory should not have
it.  Some other things that worsen circulatory illness (even if they
appear to give a temporary boost) are true licorice and ginseng.  The
sugars present in pop are counter-indicated by insulinoma.