From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:08:51 -0500
Thank you SO much, Kristen, for doing that right!

Although some states lack animal protection (and consumer) laws to keep
pet store animals healthy many do have such laws in place and you did
exactly the right thing following up in the way that you did.

Kudos, too, to your state dept for their rapid response. We have seen a
similar rapid response in NJ when the folks at the inspection (farm)
address of FG&W got after a place with sick ferrets. In that case that
dept got other depts involved because other species were also sick.

You wrote:

>Today, I called the Southwest Florida Branch of the Department of Fish
>and Wildlife Law Enforcement Division and they went out today to the
>Pet Supermarket store to investigate. Also, I emailed Pet Supermarket
>corporate and received an email back from them this morning telling me
>that the health and safety of their animals is a priority and they
>will be sending a district manager to check on the store and how all
>of their animals are being taken care of. I was also assured that the
>sick ferret did receive veterinary care this morning...

There is nothing quite like having the state authorities involved
since it is also states which license pet stores and can remove those
business licenses.

For anyone else in such a situation in a different state: the offices
of your STATE (not federal) legislators or governor can tell you which
state offices to contact when a pet store has abused, injured, or ill
animals. Often ASPCA can help you find those offices, too. If you do
not know how to contact any of those your local librarian can help you.

Sukie (not a vet)
Current FHL address:
People can join there or can send a blank mail to the automated
joining address:
and then follow the directions.
(The second is recommended for those having problems with Yahoogroups
web settings, and afterward send a blank mail from your subscribed
address to
to get the digest instead of individual mails. )
Recommended ferret health links: