From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:26:37 -0400
Jennifer wrote:
>Ferret Dreams Rescue and Adoption just took in a 10-month-old ferret
>who needs help. Apparently, this little gir had a bad fall and is
>now paralyzed with no hind leg mobility. She came to Ferret Dreams
>yesterday (Saturday afternoon), and she has an appointment at the
>vet's on Monday.

While this little girl could be permanently disabled, don't assume
that. I have seen a number of wild mammals who have come in with no
mobility at all, only to heal to the point of being able to be released
back into the wild. As you can imagine, the criteria to release an
animal into the wild is much, much higher than for one who will live
in your home. Time is the biggest factor. Physical therapy helps. I
do swimming exercises, range of motion, and climbing exercises. I am
sitting in my kitchen now watching a nearly 4 lb. opossum slowly,
awkwardly walk around my kitchen. Just a few days ago, he couldn't
even get up. He certainly has a long way to go, and may not make it
at all, but I have seen vast improvement in a very short time.

I have another opossum here who came in with a head injury. He couldn't
stand up at all, and when you laid him down he would flip and flip. Now
he is upright, walking, climbing, and running some. He still has some
issues and may not releasable, but we didn't automatically give up on
him.

I hope your vet will be willing to work with you to bring this little
girl back to her full potential, rather than accepting how she is now.
It requires a lot of time and dedication but is worth the results.

Good luck with her!

Katharine
Florida