Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 19:39:38 -0500
Sukie: The way that hantavirus came up is that I have a no-kill
mousetrap and my boyfriend (who lived in NM for awhile) mentioned it
when I was cleaning the trap out, He said Rocky shouldn't go near it
(old and debilitated as he is, he's still interested in the trap,
especially when there's a mouse in it). I welcome anything that gets
Rocky's interest these days. He has lived with these mice around at
least 4 of his nearly 8 yrs, and has caught, killed, chewed on, and
carried one around from hidey-hole to hidey-hole until I picked him up
with the mouse in his mouth and took it away! Plus I know (as does my
bf) that hantavirus is rare here. So I wasn't worried about it. I know
mice can have fleas (and other nasties) but I haven't seen any evidence
of it in "my" mice.

Hard as I tried, I could find nothing on ferrets and hantavirus, but I
did learn that prairie dogs cannot contract or transmit it, so we don't
have to worry about the BFFs, if they can get it.

There are 2 species of mouse and 2 rat that are known carry and spread
it. They are the Deer Mouse, White-Footed Mouse, Rice Rat and Cotton
Rat. Most are found in the country, however the White-Footed Mouse is
found in NYC area but generally livess outside. The mice we have are
the House Mouse and they only live inside. Other rodents may carry
hantavirus but have not yet been identified.

BIG: My search of hantavirus cases in NYC area found 3 in Suffolk Co.
and 1 somewhere else near the city. Not sure if it was CDC; I went to
so many places. [Thanks. FWIW, CDC source is:
<http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/epislides/episl6.htm>
Note that "cases" does not necessarily mean number of people infected.
One "case" might infect greater than one person. BIG]

Diseases humans can get from ferrets (and vice versa):

FERRETS

Enteric diseases- Campylobacteriosis
Influenza
Tuberculosis
Rabies
Campylobacteriosis and Salmonellosis

These two diseases are caused by bacterial organisms commonly found in
many species of animals including some laboratory rodents, chickens,
reptiles, cats, dogs, ferrets, rabbits, sheep, pigs and nonhuman
primates. Rats and guinea pigs are especially susceptible to Salmonella
infection. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
Campylobacter is the most common cause of bacterial diarrheal illness
in humans in the United States. Fecal-oral is the primary route of
transmission between animals and from animals to people. Animals are
often asymptomatic carriers of these organisms, acting as a source of
infection but not demonstrating any clinical signs themselves. Signs in
infected humans are characteristic of acute gastrointestinal disease
including diarrhea, dehydration, nausea, fever and abdominal cramping.

Influenza

The influenza virus infects a number of animal species including
humans, birds, ferrets, horses and pigs. Transmission is caused by
aerosol exposure. The risk of humans acquiring the virus from animals
is low. The virus causes an acute disease characterized by upper
respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms with fever. Ferrets and
rodents can be susceptible to infection from humans.

Tuberculosis (TB) and other Mycobacterial Infections

Tuberculosis is caused by the bacterium, Mycobacterium tuberuclosis.
Cattle, humans and birds are considered the major reservoir hosts. Many
animals (e.g. birds, nonhuman primates, pigs, sheep, goats, cattle,
dogs, cats and ferrets) are susceptible. Transmission among animals
including people is primarily by inhalation. Two forms of clinical
disease can occur in infected humans: the pulmonary form and the
extrapulmonary form. The former is characterized by a productive
cough, fever, lethargy, anorexia, weight loss and coughing up blood.
The extrapulmonary form can cause enlarged lymph nodes, meningitis,
bone infection and inflammation around the heart.

Other species of Mycobacterium harbored in various animals can result
in human infection. Fish and amphibians have been known to transmit
atypical Mycobacteriosis to humans causing "fish handler's granulomas"
or "aquarist's nodules". More serious manifestations include
osteomyelitis and tenosynovitis. Immunocompromised people are
especially at risk.

Rabies

All mammals are susceptible to the rabies virus which is almost always
fatal in people. Transmission is usually through exposure to the body
fluids of an infected animal, primarily via bites. Aerosol transmission
is possible in specialized conditions such as laboratory settings and
bat caves. Clinical signs in infected humans include fever, malaise,
salivation and behavioral changes which can progress to paresis,
paralysis, convulsions and coma

For a complete list of zoonoses involving humans and other animals
go to:

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/vivarium/HealthRiskAnimals.cfm

BTW, I was never interested in whether I could get any disease from
Rocky. Primary concern is for his health.

That said, best of health to all furkids and their humans!

Shron (not a vet or a Sukie)

P.S. If I do ever find anything on ferrets & hantavirus, I will be
sure to post it.