From:
Kelly Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:28:21 -0500
>Subject:RE: Descenting, etc
>My point about descenting is that I believe everyone should have the right
>to decide for their own ferrets.  There ARE good reasons to descent and it
>is not always and automatically the work of Satan.

I have to agree with Deb.  All I did was ask for the pros and cons of
descenting and I was made this terrible person who was mutilating her
ferret.  I hadn't intended on getting Champ descented at all.  He had a poof
every now and again which to me was no big deal.  bt when he started doing
it 3 times an hour and in his sleep this led me to believe something was
wrong.  I asked many people about champ poofing in his sleep and some told
me that it wasn't possible for him to be poofing in his sleep, he must be
awake.  Well I'm in the same room, I can see and smell what is going on.
Some told me maybe bad dreams-which made sense.  Some maybe infection.  And
Dr. Williams said possibly impacted anal glands.  There were a few others
but those were some of the responses I got.  I felt as if I was being a bad
ferret mom if I decided to have this procedure done.  I try my best to take
the best care of my ferrets as possible and if descenting him is going to
cause him and us less heartache in the long run thats what I am going to do
and did.

>The argument that we don't remove adrenal glands even though they cause a
>lot of problems is not a parallel to removing anal sacs.  Adrenal glands
>perform a very valuable service for the body; anal sacs do not.  No one
>objects to spaying as a preventive for all sorts of problems.  Why not?
>Isn't that also inherently "unnatural"?  We spay them because we make a
>rational judgement weighing the benefits vs the negatives, and such should
>be the case for deciding whether to descent.

This is a very good arguement.  We sterilize our female ferrets to save
there lives....why do we nueter the males?  Seems kinda contradicting
doesn't it?  What purpose does nuetering a male do as to descenting a
ferret.  I agree that descenting makes no difference on the smell of the
ferret itself however the poofing odor does go on for awhile....I have a 3
1/2 year old special needs (human) son that I have seen go through many
surgeries about 12 to be exact and I love my ferrets as if they were my
kids(well they are!).  I would not put them through a traumatic surgery
unless I felt it was absolutely necessary.  Besides thats 75$ I could have
spent on ferret food toys and so forth.

>I'm not avidly "pro-descenting." I just think people should not be flamed
>for making a decision to do the procedure.  There are benefits.

I agree totally !!

>Subject: Re: pro plan also info on Mazuri ferret food please?
>
>Folks, Regular Pro-Plan may not have enough of the proper nutrients, but
>some of the specific flavors may be okay - check the chicken and rice or
>turkey and barley flavors.  My ferrets love the turkey/barley - they steal
>it from the cats to supplement their Totally Ferret.

I just found this stuff the other day.....when I went to go get my Iams and
let me tell you my ferrets love it.  I only got a couple sample bags to make
sure they were gonna like it and they do so I mix it in with there Iams
kitten food and they love it!!

Does anyone have any info on the Mazuri ferret food? I can't get TF here
where I live but I have been told Mazuri works just as well.

Kelly Ferret Mum to 4.
Bradford PA