Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:36:39 -0800
The Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue & Evacuation Team (F.E.R.R.E.T.)
was formed to fill a specific niche in the disaster response community.
Our goal has been to train people to become prepared to help themselves
in the event of disaster and to travel to disasters to work with other
disaster groups as part of a skilled and professional animal disaster
response team. As a member of the Red Cross and F.E.R.R.E.T., I have
had the privilege of working with some wonderful volunteers at animal
shelters and learning about other groups and animals.

Now you have an opportunity to receive hands-on training from and
with other disaster responders who work with all animals. Noah's Wish
(http://noahswish.org/) invites you to receive this training. You will
have the opportunity to camp out with the class for an entire weekend
to learn about such things as search & rescue (SAR) techniques, animal
sheltering, the animal intake process, infectious animal shelter
diseases, disaster information on hurricanes or earthquakes, disaster
psychology and safety in the disaster environment.

Information focuses on the needs of more common pets like cats and
dogs, but also about pocket pets and reptiles. This year special
consideration of ferrets' needs will also be presented, and Noah's Wish
has invited F.E.R.R.E.T. to provide the species-specific training. A
separate track for returning volunteers will provide information about
generators, vehicle safety & blood borne pathogens, plus a whole lot
more!

Not sure if on-site disaster response is your thing? Come for realistic
training and a simulation and learn what disaster response is all
about! The information you get here will be helpful to you in your own
situation and also prepare you to assist in the background instead of
on the front lines.

The next class will be held May 15th-16th at 50810 SE Grouse Ridge Rd.
in North Bend, WA. Cost is only $125 for new volunteers and $85 for
returning volunteers, students or seniors (62+). Pre-registration is
required and space is limited!

For more information about Noah's Wish or this exciting training visit
www.noahswish.info or call: 916-939-9474.

I hope to see you there!

If you are unable to attend this event, you may be able to travel to
one of these June opportunities:

June 5 & 6 in Quesnel, British Columbia, Canada, June 19 & 20 in
Cheltenham, MD, or June 26 & 27 in Petawawa, Ontario, Canada.

Permission - and request - to crosspost. Please share with all you
know!

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we