From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:29:57 -0400
We have usually not encountered rough times getting ferrets through
adrenal surgeries, with a few exceptions who had complications but they
made it, too.  Then again, our definition of "rough" might differ from
that or people who haven't been through a lot of ferret surgeries through
the years.  (In almost a quarter century with ferrets (first surgery very
early in our time with them) the only one lost post-surgically was one we
got a call to come see at the animal hospital because she had hidden
lympho that was so widely spread that they closed her up and called us to
come in to say goodbye.  I mention that only to illustrate that we seem
to be doing some things right.)

It is essential after a surgery to NOT allow climbing -- even ramps for
at least a week and preferably longer.

We tend to use paper for waste post surgically to keep the ferret clean
and eliminate on climbing need.

We personally don't let other ferrets in with a surgical patient usually
because we have had one who liked to remove stitches from others (as well
as some who went after their own stitches), and because not all are as
careful as a patient needs.

It is best to not use injectable anesthesia for ferrets.  Even the safer
ones can at times cause problems.  These days the most typical approach
for anesthesia in ferrets by those who do a lot of ferret surgeries is to
use gas only.  That way there is not a problem shaking the anesthesia,
and if memory serves there is not the body temp concern.  As Dr. Murray
recently mentioned there can be a kidney concern with some injectables,
too.

In some cases continued bleeding would be a concern unless it turned out
to not be real bleeding but more some oozing which it sounds like you
encountered.  Concerns if that had worsened would have been some anemia
and thrombocytopenia (the lack of platelets to form blood clots) having
begun in response to the adrenal growth.  The approaches for that are:
Lupron, Melatonin, Arimidex, and for the bad ones also transfusions from
a large ferret.  Ferrets do not have blood types to consider when doing
transfusions.

I am glad that Lily is doing so well after her debulking, Kris.  Surgery
is hard, but having fatal anemia and some other adrenal disease related
problems is a lot harder.

One way to get ferrets to eat kibble again that we have huge success with
is to just use their own behaviors to get it going.  They LOVE to sneak
and steal so you HAVE to convince the ferret that you do NOT know this is
going on.  When the ferret is asleep put a paper bag with some kibble in
it in the room.  Also check it or replenish it only when the ferret is
not observing.  Let the behavior of sneaking kibble in the bag be firmly
established for AT LEAST several days before the ferret gets to know that
you know.

---

Given that her loss was 7 months ago the only way I could imagine it
contributing might be an amount of insecurity remaining on top of the
insecurity of a new home.  To me it seems more that she is perhaps
doing some permanent scent marking to make the place seem like home.

If there is a scent you regularly wear try spreading that around and see
if that works to remove or reduce her insecurity.  It is a trick that
worked for us by our front door many years ago when we had slate put in.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/