From:
"Bruce H. Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 08:05:53 -0400
To Doug Scholtes:

>I was also wondering how safe this new flea pill is...  was wondering if
>any of the vets had anything to say about them.

     Doug - as a vet student, you've got to keep up!!!  I think we discussed
this about a week ago on the FML.  Lufeneron is an igestible form of a flea
growth hromone, jsut like methoprene, which will make the fleas pass sterile
eggs.  It may help prevent an infestation in your house, but does not kill the
flea on the ferret when it takes its blood meal.  So it is only an adjunct to a
flea control program.  But you can use it along with whatever you are currently
using.

     Lufeneron is being used in ferrets now, although this is extralabel
use.  The compny is son to release a formulation for cats.  As it doesn't even
kill the flea, I don't expect any maor problems with ferrets.  There is a lot
of anecdotal infomation about its safeness in ferrets, but little about its
efficacy.

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]                       Armed Forces Institute of Pathology