From:
Danielle Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 12:44:00 -0600
I have a 3 y/o male MF ferret.  He and She'ra went to the vet this morning.
She'ra for adrenal problems, but Zayner went in for a mass to the side
of his anus.  I just noticed it because he's having a hard time walking.
After some x-rays, the falling over is do to arthritis, probably from a
prior injury to the rear right leg.  He needs to have surgery, but it's
going to wait.  Monday morning he goes in for surgery to get that mass
removed.  The doctor kept talking about carcinoma.  I can only pray that
it is beneign.  I won't find out the results until the end of next week on
what type it is.  In the x-rays, there were no other masses seen.  The doc
said the first place they would spread would be the lungs.  What should
I expect after the surgery from Zayner?  The Doc told me that he would
probably have a hard time using the bathroom and would try to hold it, and
then have diarrhea.  Will he eat?  Or will I have to feed him duck soup?  I
need to be prepared.  I have had to deal with sub-q and giving shots, but i
have never had a ferret have to have surgery.  I don't know what to expect.
He will be coming home the same day.  How long should he be separated from
the other ferrets?  Would it be alright to have my oldest (7y/o) in the
cage with him?  They are the best of friends.  Please help me be ready,
and wish him luck that everything comes out OK.  Thank you for your help...
Please email me directly.