From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:05:57 -0400
I am usually not one to bash vets.  But, it has come to my attention that
one vet in my area is not a good ferret vet - altho they claim to be.

It started out that I had to rush a ferret in for an emergancy after hours
(it is a 24 hr place).  The ferret was having a seizure.  She was given
Valium and died form the Valium given to her.

Then, after swearing I would never go back, I took a boy with a blockage
there.  Altho nothing could be done fo rhim, they refused him because a dog
had gotten hit by a car & came in while my chart was being pulled.  Before
even looking at my animal they allowed the dog first and tied up the vet
for an hour.  I was told no treatment or x-ray.  They could put the ferret
down, tho.  Interesting as they didn't even see the animal.  How could they
just say that?

No I have come to find out a kit that we bred was taken to this place for
treatment of a prolapsed rectum.  I am sure they were trying to help her,
but instead they killed her.  They were supposed to stitch the rectum, and
the owners said she was bouncing around just fine afterwards.  They allowed
the kit to stay at the vet's until the next day.  Later that night the
office called to tell these owners (that had just recently lost their
previous ferret) that she had passed away!

I urge all in MI to NOT use this vet!  They have proven to me time & again
that they are not to be trusted with ferrets (or any other animal in my
opinion!).

This vet is:

Towne & Country Animal Hospital
5445 Old US 23
Brighton, MI  48116
810-220-1079

If anybody else has any similar information on this vet, please contact me.
What can I do to warn other ferret people?