From:
"K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:41:17 EST
Vaccination reactions: After reading the past several days postings about
vacination reactions happening several hours after the administration of the
vaccination, I have begun to wonder about taking my four babies in for their
shots this Saturday.

As you may recall, I live in Brevard County, FL, where rabies vaccinations
for ferrets are not recognized and all ferrets are put down when they bite
or scratch someone.  We did make some progress at the County Commission
meeting in February, but we did not have the law changed.  It seems that we
need to attack this on a state level.

In the meantime, I am going to take my ferrets back to Daytona Beach
(Volusia County) to have them vaccinated.  There I can receive a rabies tag
for them to wear since Volusia County9s treatment of ferrets is more as
domestic animals rather than exotics.  I also like my vet up there a lot.

I made a mid-morning appointment and planned to wait a half hour at the
vet9s office after they get their shots, but after reading those posts, I
worry that this is not long enough.  I also planned on staying in Daytona
for a little while to run a few errands before driving the hour and a half
back to Melbourne.

How long should I wait before leaving Daytona?  Do most reactions occur
within the first 30 minutes normally?  Is there something I can carry with
me should one of the ferrets start to react on the way home?  (In the middle
of nowhere, of course) And since I9m asking, benedryl is one of the things
administered to a ferret having a reaction, but what was the other?  I9d
appreciate any advice.

Ferret Treats: I have heard it said before that ferrets learn what is food
when they are young and that it is hard to get them to eat different things
when they are older.

Leave it my stubborn varmints to try to disprove this!  IVAN!  (14 mos) has
decided that baby carrots are now worth climbing walls for and Casper (2.5
yrs) has decided he likes chicken, turkey and meatloaf!  Both of them used
to turn their noses up at this stuff.  Now it9s become nectar of the Gods!
Anybody else9s ferrets do this too?

Happy ferreting.....

Susie
Casper (I am a God!)
Trixie (I9m the Princess!)
Binky (???) He9s not the brightest lightbulb either....
IVAN! (Hey, Mom! I wanna join the FLO too. Can I? Huh? Huh? *chomp*)