From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:22:36 -0500
I want to thank everyone who responded to my post about neutered Gonzo's
interest in his cagemate.  Responses pointed to 3 possibilities:

1. Adrenal: unlikely in such a young ferret (under a year). He shows no
   other symptoms or male marking behavior, and is small but well muscled
   and full of boundless energy.

2. Undescended testicle or remnant: possible, but again, no other whole male
   behavior or odor.

3. Boredom: quite possible. Given the shelter setting, he doesn't get as
   much play time as I would like.  And he does only show this behavior
   when he's been caged for a while.  He IS a very active ferret.  Changes
   in shelter residents recently mean I can let him have more playtime;
   we'll see if that helps.

I'm suspecting it is mostly the latter, and will keep my eye on him for
other symptoms that could indicate a medical condition.

Thank again to those who wrote!

Linda Iroff
North Coast Ferret Shelter
http://www.oberlin.edu/~liroff/ncfs.html