From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 08:46:53 -0600
To "Gina" and other Ferret Sand Busters

Every time I change the litter in my ferrets' litter boxes, Taero, a 4 year
old sable, goes tunneling through it likes he's the construction master of
Ferret Town.  His head goes right underneath the litter (sand like clumping
litter) and pops up seconds later with a nice little pile on the end of his
nose!  Yes, he sneezes out any of the particles that has inadvertantly
snuck up the sniffing channel but down he will go again... and again... and
again!

It's as Bob C has mentioned in his posting about change in the environment.
I worried initially that the litter would be bad for the little guys because
it was the clumping litter stuff but after constantly checking the little
guy for ill after effects and finding he is just fine, I no longer worry
about it.  Taero does it only when the litter box is "fresh and clean" and
all other times he's enjoying the dirt in my plant pots.

So in the end I think your little guys will tell you if the sand doesn't
agree with them.  In my opinion I'd say give sand a chance.

Thanks to all of you who have kept me in your prayers.  You don't know how
much it means.

Betty - the zookeeper of Calgary
Taero - Change the litter more often, please!
Chook - who cares, where'd she hide those raisens?
Tinder - Feeling spunky - I had a bit o'banana today!
Bear - That was my banana... oh thank you for sharing!