From:
Margie's 1/2 dozen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Nov 1996 16:47:32 -0600
Okay, our human has seen a lot of flea questions.  Now she doesn/t like
chemicals.  So We said then what.  This was her amswer.  She studies
horticulture.  No ferts that is not the how to culture horror.  It is the
humane care of plants and their enviroment.

Anyway.  her answer was, "See there is this small herb type plant, just
about fert size, called English Penniroyal." She calls it stink plant but
really has a minty fragrance to everyone but insects especially fleas.  Back
to her answer, "Use the penniroyal as a ground cover instead of growing
grass, especially in the areas where you anticipate flea problems.  It does
have some nice small spikes of purple little flowers.  " English Penniroyal
needs to only be boughten once.  It is one of the few plants, you can uproot
a section and transplant, water and it will grow as well or better than
weeds.

I have used penniroyal around all my potted plants outside and had no insect
of any type problems.  Now the ferrets get a wiff of it and off they will go
to "track down" the smell.  Herbs are also an excellent choice for plants in
the house.  Not because you can eat them or the ferrets can (which they
don't) but they withstand the being dug in very well.

Enough said.

[Moderator's note: I've heard that it's not effective with fleas and could
cause other problems... not to say I'm right, but I urge caution if you're
considering it.  BIG]