From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:13:33 -0400
Dear FML - Over the last several months it seems that so many friends and
others who subscribe here have lost a dear ferret; and some have lost more
than one.

When we lose a ferret, be they young or old, sick or sudden, the pain and
grief of loss is sometimes far beyond what we feel when losing other beloved
pets.  It is for many of us nearly as bad as losing a child.  And indeed,
for many of us, our ferrets are a dear as a child.  And I think that this is
only somethine that a fellow ferret owner would understand, the rest of the
world wondering how we could make such a comparison.

I extend my heartfelt sympathies to all who have lost a beloved ferret in
recent months.  When one of our ferrets go, it is like a little bright light
goes out.  And it is so hard.  This time last year, I lost three of my own
in a relatively short time - but it seems just like yesterday.  When we
accept a ferret into our lives and give them the unconditional love that
they give to us, we must accept that sometimes our ferrets, so joyful and
full of life, will leave us behind.  But I feel that the joy and happiness
they bring us is balanced against the pain of loss.  It is better of have
loved and experienced the wonder of this very special animal, then to not
have been enriched by this wonderful bond at all.

For all who have lost a dear ferret - grieve because you must.  But know
that your pet will never truly be gone from you, because as long as you
live, you will carry a part of your ferret in your heart and in your memory,
and so he or she will live on.  And when the day comes that you can remember
your lost one with laughter instead of tears, I think that your fuzzy will
do a happy dance for you in heaven.  And do not be afraid to venture to
bring another ferret into your life - for I believe that not having another
precious one to love, is far worse then the enevitable pain of loss.  Each
ferret brings to us so much by their individuality that you will soon be
again lost in total infatuation and so your life will be further expanded by
this new joy

And when there comes a day that we too must leave this life behind us, I
believe that, by grace of God, we will once again meet with our beloved
ferrets gone before us.  Because if there is a heaven, then our little
friends will indeed be waiting, for if they are not, then it will be no
heaven at all.  The power of love and belief is stong - and if you have the
grace of a loving heart, then you will be rewarded by many years and many
ferrets to love now and in the afterlife.  God bless to all.  Meg