From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:29:40 -0800
Hi.  I have been a member for awhile now but this is my first post.I
think I missed the first post on allergies but from the other allegy
posts I gather that someone is allergic to their ferret and is thinking
about finding their ferret a home and some people are mad over it?

I wanted to say that I am a first time ferret owner and I have 3 boys
(sable, albino, & cinnamon) they are a little over a year old.I have only
had them for a couple of months and I think they are great.  I got them
from a classified ad the woman that had them has children and she felt
that she no longer had enought time to spend with them.I was only going
to get one but I couldnt choose between them and the owner said he would
cut me a deal if I took all 3 of them.So I did!

Anyway, on the way home I could smell the ferrets they had a really
strong odor and I started feeling sick, my sinuses started bothering me
and my head started to pound.As soon as we got home.  I got the ferrets
situated and I laid down for awhile.For the next couple of days I was so
sick I had a irritated sore throat, sick to my stomach and had a really
bad pounding headache my whole head hurt.I stayed in bed alot because I
felt horrible.After awhile I started to feel a little better but it never
went completely away.  I started to think that maybe I was allergic to
them.I ended up giving them a bath and as soon as the smell got better I
started feeling alot better.When I kiss the top of their heads or snuggle
up to them and their fur touches my face I start to have a itchy face my
aunt is the same way so now I keep them away from my face, I keep the
litter boxes and bedding clean because that way the ferret smell is not
strong and I feel alot better that way.I also wash my hands after I play
with my ferrets.

I can understand why that someone would think about finding a home for
their ferret.I know I didnt want to think about finding them a home but
I was miserable and Im sure the ferrets were not happy just sitting in
their cage during those first few days.I mean they had each other to play
with but Im sure they just wanted to get out and run around.  I guess
what Im trying to say is if the human is feeling miserable and cant spend
time with her ferret because of the allergies them Im sure the ferret is
not very happy having to be cooped up and not getting to spend any time
with it's human.I hope no one gets upset over my post.

[HH]