From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 10:52:37 -0500
An ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center release:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_common

Note that marijuana leads the list and can cause convulsions and coma.

In either January or December (I forget which.) there was a space of a
few days, all in the same week, where I had to help 5 people with ferrets
had suffered an assortment of types of poisoning, from plant to carbon
monoxide to common household chemicals such as cleansers, to over the
counter human meds.

Please, keep the following available in hard copy so that you will have
it even if your computer crashes.

The charges are per case.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's emergency hotline at
(888) 426-4435

Angell Memorial Animal Medical Center Pet Poison Hotline
1-877-2ANGELL (1-877-226-4355)

Keep track of what types of houseplants you have by using resources like
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/poison/index.html

Don't wait; check now.

This UK article which mentions some common poisoning causes by name
is very useful:
http://www.avonvets.co.uk/2ndyr_hands/Poisons.html

The number of poisonous plants is actually much larger than this list
and than the ASPCA's list of the most ones encountered (and a more
comprehensive list of poisonous plants is available at the ASPCA Animal
Poison Control website, as well as a list of safe ones).

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/