From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 1995 14:34:38 PDT
Re: Winnipeg - nipping 3 mo. ferret

Just over a month ago we added 2 more fur-kids to our lot. They were litter
mates, just over 3 months old, and had been in the pet store for 9 weeks. We
got our first two ferrets we got when they were 7 or 8 week old kits and the
socialization of the 7-8 week olds was alot easier than the socialization
process we have been and still are going through with the new two. The new
two (Atlas and Hijinx) were nippy. They hadn't been taught any socialization
at the pet store so we were essentially starting at square one or worse with
them. Hijinx was especially nippy to women - perhaps she had nipped women at
the pet store and found that was a way to get put down.

Anyways, we've had to do a lot of scruffing and hissing to teach both Atlas
and Hijinx that biting or nipping is not acceptable behavior. Squirt and
Pippi (our older two) seemed to really dislike the nippiness and "rudeness"
of Atlas and Hijinx. To put it simply, Squirt and Pippi kicked Atlas and
Hijinx's butts - for dominance and because the 'younguns were just too darn
nippy. We had to referee more than one bout - breaking it up when it got
too rough - we didn't want anybody to get ripped ear or anything... They
eventually worked it out and get along great now.

At first I thought we were never going to make any head-way in the no nip
training, but they're getting better all the time. In fact, little 'Jinx is
a big kissy-bug now. She just can't get enough attention and is always
showering us with kisses. They still nip occasionally or nip a little too hard
when playing, but they're coming along. Besides our positive and negative
reinforcements, I honestly believe that Squirt and Pippi helped to teach them
some "manners" too.

Don't give up! It can be frustrating, but with a little patience and diligence,
everything will work out! :) Good luck!

-kim, mike, Squirt the Smart, Pippi the Tenacious, Atlas the Big, and
 Hijinx the Swift

Kimberly Burkard        |              _
Xerox, Rochester, NY    |       _____C .._. fu-til'i-ty   n. 1. an act having
[log in to unmask] |  ____/     \___/  no useful result  2. herding
[log in to unmask] <____/\_---\_\    ferrets.