From:
Wayne Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 07:51:08 +0100
DH
Sorry to hear your restricted views and understanding of Foot and Mouth
Disease [FMD].  I agree that the government got things wrong and it's
approach to intensive farming is also unsatisfactory but this has no
bearing on ferret care.  The FMD out break can be laid at the feet of a
whole host of issues including the alleged illegal import of european meat.
The UK populous are somewhat more open to the truth and as a result the
brain washing approach of the popularist media carries limited weight.
At this point I could stab wildly into the heart of the stereotypical
American, the US media and the Government (???) but that is not for public
posting on a ferret care web site.  Such comments would be equally unfair
to so many good people that do not fit the somewhat unpleasant stereotype.

I admit that there has been a large area of agricultural Britain designated
as FMD positive and therefore off bounds but there are a great many more
areas still open.  I work in a large city hospital but live some distance
away and close to a number of farms which suffered FMD culls.  The
agricultural land is therefore off bounds but this doesn't stop me using
the many parks, public commons, non- agregultural fields, woodlands, do
you want me to go on ...........

The FMD outbreak is no excuse for the non-exercise of ferrets and even less
of an excuse for those who seem to understand little of the issues to have
a stab at the UK government.

Wayne.

Wayne Gardner
Dept. of Medical Physics
United Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust