From:
Michael McKinley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 11:30:35 -0700
Hi there again,

Just have to chime in with a tidbit from my "quiet" corner of the fml,
about Edward's post about his viewpoint on de sexed ferrets and possible
extinction.

One slight flaw with the latest view.

(I know this is alittle "off track" with the ferret view BIG, but I'll try
to be brief.)

Dog breeders many years ago did breed for certain distinctive survival
characteristics, but this time has passed.

Dog breeders breed today for money.  They are governed by the AKC which
dictates what each breed should look like.  Dogs are sold in large
quantities to many individuals who desire color, size, certain facial
features, and certain characteristics indicative of the breed.

This is NOT based on the stamina or survival qualities of the animal.

Witness the case of the St.  Bernard.  before they were bred for that
"sloppy" face and enormous bodies, They were quite happy with a less than
100 pound body and a straight, tight, muzzle-which was how they looked from
1900-1920.  Now, St.  Bernard's die early, with complications to nearly half
with skin problems and eye infections resulting from the "characteristics of
the breed".

You might be able to make a case for the sporting dogs, (retrievers etc) who
are used for hunting, but these "races" are a small minority to the other
breeds that are bred for profit.

I think that most ferrets are bred for looks, just as cats are, or dogs for
that matter.

Sorry Edward, I do appreciate your concern for the ferret line and your case
and cause for smart breeding, I do!

but this line of reasoning, I feel, is flawed.

Wishing all a great "dooking" day
Michael
(and Amy and Edwardo)

(sorry, BIG about the "non" ferretness of this post, I just wanted to
comment on the last post) (thanks mm)

[Moderator's note: I think it's OK to make a comparision like that.  The
lines aren't too clear, I guess!  BIG]