From:
sharin alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:18:02 -0400
I read Lisette's post about problems having both cats & ferrets.  I have
both & have avoided a lot of the problems she lists... mostly by having
ferrets who are only partially free roam - there are parts of the house
they are unable to get into.  Cats can leap over barrier, ferrets cannot.

Litter box: Well, my ferrets use newspaper.  Not tempting to cats (&
free...).  The cats do use a litter box, but it is in the cellar, which the
ferrets can't get to.

Food: Similarly, the ferrets cannot get to the cat food place - a shelf
over the cellar stairs.  (The dog can't get there either.)  Altho the
ferrets are free roam in part of the house, i feed them in a cage (which is
always open).  Their dining room is on an upper level, & the cats cannot
fit up the ramps to it.

This partial free roam arangement also allows the kitties to a choice of
hanging out with the ferrets or not - a great deal.  2 of the cats are
great friends with the ferrets, the other avoids them like the plague.  &
the ferrets have little hidey places where they can get away from the cats
too, altho that doesn't seem to be an issue as much!  As for the dog, she
can't get over the barrier, so we can let her play with the ferrets or keep
her separate...

Works for us!

---sharin
chloe & ramie the ferrets