From:
KiSta Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:50:30 -0500
Here's my idea on how to deal with the situation:

Since you're aware of these other shelters, instead of complaining about
them, why not do something to help them?  We're aware of one new shelter
located south of us that is not licensed, and have given them supplies,
cages, cleaning tips, advice, and even ordered them a license application
in January when we had to renew ours.  I don't know if they actually
completed the application or not, but I do feel better knowing that I did
alert them that it is a necessity.  As for their shelter conditions, i've
never been to their place, but the ferrets that they brought to our place
when they picked up the cages and goodies were all very well cared for, and
(as usual for our visitors) had proof of vaccinations from a vet in their
area.

As for publicity, any good ferret PR is a good thing for all of us.  Many
non-ferret owned humans have no idea that we even exist.  By networking
with ferret shelters in the state, and working together, we can all
benefit, by directing potential adopters to the closest one to their home,
and not allowing one shelter to become overwhelmed with surrenders.  I know
I have referred several people to another shelter located much north of us,
for adoptions and for ferret sitting, since due to our limited space, we
can't "babysit".  Since opening our northern branch in December, we've been
able to "lighten the load" here, and im forever grateful to Rick & Denise
at the Northern KFR.  Without them, our 27 ferrets in the shelter would
actually be closer to 40.

The reason that I do this is for the ferrets.  Not some wierd ego trip, or
some strange fetish regarding poop or never having a matched pair of socks.
If a shelter isn't operating in a manner that you think is beneficial to
the ferrets, then step in and help; show them a better way of doing things,
teach them some of the tricks that you've learned over the years, but don't
attack them.  Work with them.  Its much easier to be nice than it is to be
mean and spiteful.  Who knows, you might make a valuable contact and friend
out of the whole deal.

Sincerely,
Kim Rushing
KiSta Ferret Rescue
NJ Dept. Of Fish, Game & Wildlife Permit # PS  99007
NJ Not For Profit ID # 970-016-129
Featured in the February 22nd Asbury Park Press

Please help us help the ferrets by visiting Eyegive at
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=3D4030&mid=3D7501   We receive
$2.00 for every new person who signs on, and its totally free to help us.
Thank you from the ferrets.