From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:45:21 +1100
>Does anyone know of a Ferret Safe Cockroach and bug killer??  I've tried
>everything (not in their area), like Boric Acid Powder, the Dimetic
>(SP?) earth, regular Raid spay, even orange and lime extract spay

We had a similar problem when we lived in 'big smoke' but now we are out
in the scrub we haven't had an issue with cockroaches.  Occasionally we
see the odd one or two but that is from stowaways and hidden eggs that
we bought with us.

The first thing to consider is your fuzzynutters.  We have two girls that
just love to hunt, catch and unfortunately savor the crunchy shell and
soft gooey insides of cockroaches.  Blaaaughck.......but I suppose the
would rule Survivor.  So remember if any of your crew do this then they
are also eating what the cockroaches are eating.

What did we do to control the problem?  Well Darrin used to squeal like
a little girl and refuse to kiss them until they washed their mouths
out with someone else's butt.  I, on the other hand used to count my
blessings that there was one less of these disturbingly creepy creatures
for me to chase with a shoe, squish and then clean up the smoosh.  We
don't use chemicals for pest control in our home, for our health as well
as our ferrets, so I wasn't worried about poisoning (there is nothing
like sucking a big hairy spider into the vacuum cleaner).

My tips for reducing cockroach numbers are:

* Wipe inside of cupboards and use a spray bottle to spray hidden nooks
and crannies with eucalyptus oil.  Just remember to be cautious with good
furniture as it may affect the finish, so only in the hidden spots.  You
can also put a few cotton balls soaked in eucalyptus oil in draws or use
those wooden balls that are used for essential oils.  This will not kill
them but will deter them and will probably need to be repeated every
month until they are under control then about every 3 or 4 months
(particularly over spring/summer).

* While you are wiping the inside of the cupboards look for the cockroach
eggs and squish and kill them, even old casings from hatched eggs.  These
are usually in the corners and are cockroach spit stuck in place, they
don't just roll around loosely on a flat surface, and they look like a
dark brown or blackish medicine capsule.

* Now for my favorite, blow them to smithereens.  Mix together 2 cups
(500g) of cold mashed potato and 1 tablespoon of baking powder and
then form into balls the size of marbles.  Place 2 to 3 balls where
cockroaches gather, leaving a few balls around for future generations.
Keep renewing until left untouched.  This bait reacts with the insects'
body health and blows them apart.

They may be able to survive nuclear blasts but nothing will same them
from mashed potato.

Cheers
Melissa & Darrin & the fearless cockroach hunters, Sooty, Fang and the
apprentice Tinkerbell.