From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 06:53:07 -0500
>....all plants in the onion family (including garlic and chives and
>whatever else I can't remember) are toxic to animals causing a hemolytic
>anemia.

I don't know much about plants and what families they belong to, but I
didn't realize that garlic and onions were in the same family.  Can this
really be true?

Also, if garlic is toxic, why do they sell brewers yeast with garlic tablets
in pet stores?????????  Why does Wysong generously add garlic to their pet
foods?????

Does anyone have any scientific references to back up this statement?

Thanks-

Debbie RiccioW
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY

[Moderator's note: Kale, turnip, garlic, onions and more.  The Merck
Veterinary Manual has a brief section about it.  One other reference I
heard of that's supposed to have more info is "Essentials of Veterinary
Hematology", 1993, by Nemi Jain.  I wish I knew what the toxic dose is,
but I don't, other than knowing it's probably pretty small for cats and
quite a bit more in dogs.  Who knows about ferrets?!  Also think onions
are worse than garlic.  So fat help I was, huh?  Any vets care to comment?

I got interested in this when I was searching for any studies proving
chocolate was especially toxic, in case you're wondering.  And I really do
like food (and chocolate!) so the research wasn't all *that* boring.  BIG]