From:
STAR Feret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 00:30:33 EST
>Hence, as the ferret surges forward, the neck loop is tightened; conversely,
>going backward, the chest loop is tightned, essentially automatically.

Ferrets are like cats when being walked - you follow the animal through who
knows what because they rarely walk in a straight line like a dog.

I prefer the H-style harness for several reasons.  First, I like the ones
made by Shirley Hertzog of WarmFuzzy because she uses velcro as her "buckle"
and makes the harnesses in three general sizes.  I can use the small size on
ANY sprite, the medium on ANY gib or jill, and the large on just about ANY
hob without having to adjust buckle holes for a safe fit for a different
ferret.

Second, the H-style harness will not choke, strangle or cut off oxygen to
the wearer.  If the ferret needed to be lifted quickly because a stray dog
was running up to you, you could use the lead to hoist the ferret to your
arms.  If your ferret were sitting on your shoulder and should slip, it
would not strangle if dangled.

Third, I have seen ferrets slip way too easily out of figure 8 harnesses,
whereas the H-style does not allow it.  Most people use the nylon figure
8's, whereas I have a German made leather set of H-style harnness/leashes
with buckles and bells, and still prefer the nylon with velcro one better.
The one "leg" of the H is strapped around the ferret's neck, and the other
"leg" is strapped around the ferrets chest.  What seperates these two loops
is the center bar of the H, which a metal D-loop is attached to that the
lead connects with.

[log in to unmask] also makes really neat mix and match colors.  Their prices
are good too.

>However, these harness are not so good for the ferret who is staked out,
>say in the park on a sunny afternoon, while his owner is absorbed in a good
>book or is dozing.

I never recommend staking a ferret outside for any reason.  If you want to
take your ferret out, use a carrier or an upturned wire cage (so the grass
can tickle through).  You snooze, you may lose the ferret.....

Pam