From:
Mary Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 13:26:12 -0600
I've been lurking for a while now, and look forward to coming to work
every morning a reading the FML -- it's the highlight of my day.
I've really enjoyed "meeting" all of you, laughing and crying with
you, and realizing my baby is not as unusual as I thought.  My name
is Mary and I live in Omaha with my only child, Merritt.  Merritt is
about four years old, and he adopted me when he was about nine months
old (his original owners didn't have the necessary time to spend with
him).  I've e-mailed a couple of you directly, including Dr.
Williams, and want to thank everyone for their assistance and
support.  Now for a couple of questions.

A couple of years ago, Merritt had his spleen removed and has never
gained back the weight he lost when he was sick (he only weighs 2.2
pounds).  Because he is so small, my vet told me to keep him on the
dry kitten food because it had more fat than the adult foods (I
currently use a mixture of Purina Kitten Chow and Science Diet
Kitten).  However, the past week or so I've read several posts on not
feeding adult ferrets kitten food because of possible kidney damage.

Also, several times Yesterday's News litter has been mentioned.  Does
anyone have an address or phone number -- I have been unable to
locate that brand in this area.  And one last question, a while ago
someone wrote in with a mixture to use to induce vomiting if a
foreign object was swallowed.  I can't remember what it was (I think
it was a mixture of water and peroxide), so if someone could refresh
my memory I would be grateful.

Merritt has calmed down quite a bit the last year, so is mellowing
with age.  But he still loves his squeek toys (especially the
pacifiers) and his favorite treat -- BANANAS!!

Sorry this is so long.  I'll keep reading and will try to post again
(sooner the next time so it won't be so long).