From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:44:45 -0600
Dear Anonymus,

A "thank you" is always nice--whether the donation is a dollar, or a
HUNDRED dollars! The sender wants to know if the gift(s) made it to
the ferret(s) ok.

We often send something small to another shelter out there (a tube of
something, a package of something, a toy) just for fun. Most of the
time, there's an email, when the package arrives. I like that, because
then I know the ferties got it. Sometimes, there's even a picture with
the kids enjoying the treat! That's cool!

Sometimes, a shelter mom or dad is snowed under with a sick one, trying
to get all the cages cleaned, or may be preparing for an educational
presentation. In these cases, the thank you might be late, but it still
should happen (eventually!) just so the sender knows the gift(s) made
it.

Last year, I decided to pick a baby off the Giving tree. I was in
tears, minutes after my first click, because the little white ferret
girl on my screen so closely resembled our Dolores Emma--who had just
died...

The request was for purple bedding, so I went to the fabric store (in
all my spare time!), bought the light purple flannel & batting, and
asked Stephanie (on our board of directors--one of the ones who makes
our bedding) to please make little Snow a beautiful cuddle cup, & a
sleepy bag to match. I enclosed goodies that our furkids enjoy--and a
note to Snow. I explained that I hadn't removed her name off the tree.
(That way, she could get DOUBLE the gifts when someone chose to be her
santa!) I told her how much she looked like our Dolores Emma, whom we'd
just lost. I bawled, the whole time I wrote the note, as I told her I
knew she hadn't been able to get out & shop for her mommy, so I was
also tucking in some O.P.I. hand lotion for her to give to her mommy.
(Scrubbing ferret pans takes quite a toll on one's hands!) I told her
I wanted her mom to feel special, for all she did. I ended the note
with "Merry Christmas, little Snow. I'm so glad you're alive"

Anonymus, I never knew if the box was received. Never heard a thing
from the shelter mom. Nothing. I have wondered many times, if it made
it to her...

As a sanctuary mom, I know how busy & crazy things can be---especially
at the holiday season. If a shelter mom had to choose between filling
the food dishes & writing a note though, I would sure vote for the food
dishes!!! Notes can always happen later!

(Even an email in February or March could end the question of "Did it
get there or not")

I think it might be a good idea to send a (small !) check in the gift
boxes---That way, when the cancelled check comes through, we won't
have to wonder....Delivery confirmation is another option.

Love, Zoo

ps--A gift is exactly that. A gift. When these unhappy people contact
you, suggesting Lori give the gifts to someone else, Please explain
that. (They can pick another shelter next year, if they'd like. It
isn't about the shelter mom or dad----or even if they LIKE them! It's
about those sweet babies in their care...)

Merry Christmas, Anonymus.