From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:22:49 -0700
I would put down that ferrets live until 10 years. They start getting
more problems at 6, though. As a rescue we saw one 10 year old dropped
off (yeah, I know, :( ) but the majority of the animals dropped off
were 5 to 6 year olds. Plenty of years left in them!

I would not put they have a strong odor - I'd put "to some people". I
can not tell a ferret smells until I put it up to me and smell the
middle of the tail or the back of the neck. Other people swear they
stink from a mile away.

I don't think they require less care than a dog at all. In fact, they
require more, when we had dogs we let them out, fed them, and that was
it. With ferrets you do all the constant ferret proofing, vet visits,
bedding changes, cage cleaning, litterboxes, constant enrichment with
new arrangements of toys, etc. Much more work IMO than a dog or a cat,
unless you happen to have a cat who never grew up (in which case,
they're more like a ferret...)

Ferrets actually enjoy spreading out, yes good for apartment pets but
saying they don't need a lot of room might encourage the thought they
can be cooped up in a cage 24/7.

Otherwise good stuff :D

Laryssa