Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:43:02 EDT
I just sat down and real my local newspaper and became very upset. An
article in the newspaper was titled "Honestly, find the best pet for
your family" It was a very interesting article, but there was one
paragraph that is SO misleading for possible ferret owners! It stated
"Ferrets, domestic rabbits and even rodents can also fit well into
family life, and most require less intense care than cats and dogs."

Maybe I'm wrong, but i don't beleive ferrets are at all less intense
care than cats and dogs. They need way more intense care and time! I
am so afraid a prospective ferret owner may not realize the time and
money needed to have a ferret for a pet after reading this. maybe this
journalist thinks you just keep ferrets in a cage all day and leave
food in there and look in every once in a while to coo and talk sweet
to it. Maybe they only have to pet it once in awhile! I'm afraid of
the unnecessary stress that will be put on the new owner and his/her
ferret. All the additional ferrets that will be purchased and then
left to the ASPCA or shelter (we don't have many, if any, local ferret
shelter in this area). I just emailed the newspaper to find out how to
get in touch with her and have her print a correction. The journalist
conferred with our local SPCA and a local veternarian about how to find
the proper pet for your child.

The journalist was looking for a pet for herself and family ( which
includes 2 autistic children). A ferret may be excellent for her family
but she should be properly educated about ferrets and other pets before
buying or adopting. Meanwhile, whileshe isn't properly educated, she is
misleading many others! I do hope I hear back from this journalist! I
feel it's important that this be set straight! I'm just so upset to see
that stuff to be printed in a newspaper!!!!!