Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:06:19 -0500
Lissette what a thoughtful and brilliant post you gave us yesterday
about the downsides of owning ferrets due to their sometimes
destructive behaviors. Yes I am currently writing an article about the
"messes" they make. The topic does not focus on home damage, but sure
enough it will be discussed. I try to make all of my Buzz About Ferret
stories entertaining, exciting and light hearted. And in any article
that I have written or will write, I work very hard to give the core a
freshness and bring new things to light about the subject. In addition,
I search long and hard for a twist, hook or a thoughtful moral that
has not been discussed. I'm going to be thinking long and hard about
possibly adding a serious twist to it and warn readers that although
the stories in the article are all good and fun, they might not be to
new and unsuspecting owners. So thank you for that, and I'm sure future
ferret fanciers and novices will also thank you.

Now as for your request, here is a list of our past destruction:
Carpet by the fronts of doors complete shredded beyond repair
Furniture dug out and shredded beyond repair
Screen doors ... the same
Wires chewed and even broken
60 dollar controllers destroyed
Shoes chewed
Children's toys with any soft plastic or rubbery material in them
chewed up
Plants sent six feet under
Betta fish homes knocked over and fish hurt but saved

Those things and much more have occurred few and far between over more
than 30 years with me, but I am far more vigilant than most people and
am very protective of my home. Many of those incidents only happened
once or twice and I learned my lesson. Most of my life was lived in
apartments, so when ferrets were freed they required my undivided
attention, especially given the fact that I've always lived with
multiple species (many being natural prey to a ferret including ...
human baby toes). Luckily I never could afford cable to distract my
little pea brain. Hoarders and Snapped was not around to suck me in.
Today, my ferrets are absolutely boring because I and my family have
never let them get a taste of any of those things. But, ferrets never
"quit". They have no "quit" in their blood. So we remain careful.

I must go now to tend to a twitchy little fellow, Dave the coral
banded shrimp, who is safely locked up in a secure 50 gallon salt
tank and who's food is securely put up in the freezer.

Cheers all!
Wolfy