From:
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:57:11 -0700
>From:    Simon Anthony Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Black-Footed Ferrets
>In the program to re-introduce Male Black-footed Ferrets into the wild
>and encourage them to mate, Siberian female Ferrets were used.

Minor quibble first.  The Siberian critters are polecats by name not
ferrets.

The Siberian (chinese or steppe are other names) polecats were used to have
extra females of an extremely closely related species to study.  Some even
consider the BFF (mustela nigripes) a subspecies of the SP (mustela
eversmani).

It would likely be very hard to determine what consitutes more polecat or
more ferret in this case.  Even more so than the 'other' polecat to the
'other' ferret since neither the SP or BFF are domestic.

The hybrids weren't used to strengthen the BFF as I understand.  The
'retired' polecats went to very carefully screened homes.  I've 'met' a
few.  They are not 'pets' as much as captive wild animals.  I do not know
the fate of the hybrids specifically.

-bill (with diane chattering in his ear while writing)
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets