From:
Stephanie Bass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2005 01:46:46 -0500
I haven't written anything in a very long time, but when I read the
following post I took offense to it immediately and I was compelled to
reply.

>Ferret Friends has adopted a policy, for the sake of the ferret's
>health, of not adopting to persons where someone smokes in the house.  I
>would like to know how other shelters deal with this.  It is not easy to
>tell potential adoptors that their habit will compromise the ferret's
>health.  I recently watched one of ours go downhill from lymphoma after
>living with smoke for a couple years.
>
>Carol Owens,

I have two fuzzies, Abe and Penelope.  I also have two roomates, one
being my boyfriend and the other his sister.  Both of which SMOKE.  I
choose not to.

I take a great offense to this posting because you are discriminating
against people who would be potential loving, caring fuzzy parents.  My
apartment doesn't smell like smoke, nor would you ever guess that a
cigarette was ever lit in my apartment.  With so many shelters being
flooded with abandoned fuzzies, why would you deny someone the chance to
be a loving fuzzy parent?  We are not the only fuzzy parents that have
smokers in the family.  I know of others that keep the smoke at a very
good distance from their babies.

I understand your concern, and I also understand that there are
irresponsible fuzzy parents, if there weren't there wouldn't be a need
for shelters.  That is why you review each potential fuzzy owner.  If
they come in and absolutely reek of smoke, maybe you shouldn't allow them
to adopt.  Maybe that would be a reflection of their living conditions.
But just because they do smoke, does not put a red flag above their head
screaming "BAD PARENTS".  My babies are healthy stallions.  You make it
seem as though when one of my roommates lights a cigarette they blow the
smoke in our fuzzies' faces and ash in their cage.  I can't concieve
denying a loving parent on the basis of their own bad habits.  Cigarettes
don't make bad parents, ignorance makes bad parents.  I couldn't imagine
being denied to adopt my baby boy.

Disturbed,
Stephanie, Abe & Penelope