From:
Alicia Weiland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:28:17 -0500
hello again, I'm fairly new here.  I've only been a subscriber less than a
week.  I have a male ferret who is 4 months old...his name is Fidgit.
Lately he has been scratching the back of his neck and parts of his body
like he itches.  We've had him to the vet to make sure it wasn't some sort
of mites and I know he doesn't have fleas.  Only think I can think of is
dry skin but I don't know how to fix the problem.  I've seen supplements at
Wal-Mart but I'm not sure if they work.  I don't have a pet store around
here that sells ferret products.  Currently he is Iams kitten food and he
gets Pounce and a ferret treat made by eight in one.  Does anybody have
suggestions for fixing the problem?

Also I've seen lots of notice of marshal farms ferrets which made me check
the certificate thingy I got when we purchased Fidgit.  It says he is a
Petersen Ferret, does anybody know anything about this breeder good or bad?
We have had really good luck with Fidgit, he seems to be in perfect health
and is very lovable and nicely marked.  My brother owns one as well but he
had a very slight problem with a prolapsed rectum..which only occured once
and hasn't returned.  The vet we took him to said he found it strange that
the ferret didn't have any tattoo or marking in the ear.  He said almost all
breeders mark the ear when they are neutered or descented.  I'll admit I
probably should have checked out where the store (we bought him at Earl May)
bought there ferrets from before hand.  But we loved my brothers female and
wanted one from the same place.

ALso is it safe to let a ferret play with toilet paper rolls?  Fidgit loves
to knock over the wastebasket and take the empty cardboard rolls.  He pushes
them around the floor for hours, but then he starts to shred them.  I've
never seen him attempt to eat any part of it though.

Thanks,
Alicia, Skot, & Fidgit