From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 12:06:29 CST
Hi,

I have a problem - my little girl Nina refuses to start eating
or drinking on her own...

For the last 2 months, Nina (6 years old) and my other 2, had the
"mystery green virus."  My other two are both 3.5 years old, and
got through it a bit better.  Nina, was pretty bad off, and I am
really surprised she is still alive!

Anyways, I've just recently taken her off of force feedings
(AD mixtures) and liquids (Pedialyte) every 4 hours (10-12 cc/
feeding) as well as doing subcutaneous fluids (injections - 20 cc)
twice a day.

Her current status:  she is active and has energy.  I know she is
hungry because she begs all the time.  She will NOT eat her hard food
(Totally Ferret) or drink (choice of Pedialyte or water).  The only
things I can get her interested in are Goat's milk and Nutrical.
She also wants fruit - she loves fruit - but I hear they are bad for
her as she is recovering from dehydration and diahrea (sp?).

The thing is, I don't want to starve her and make her sick again
and without proper nuitrition and hydration she could very well regress.
But I don't want to have to force feed her for the rest of her life,
either.  She is very very stubborn, and I need some suggestions for weaning
her off of being force fed.  I know she's hungry, but she doesn't want to
eat her food!

Your suggestion are invaluable to me.

Thanks,

Chris.