From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 10:07:49 EDT
Sheesh.  I dreaded writing this post!  But here goes.  The ferret book I
spent over a year agonizing over writing has again hit a roadblock.  When I
was contacted by a major publisher 1[+] years ago to write it, my book was
titled "The Wonderful World of Ferrets".  Okay, it's a little hoaky, but
that was my title.  Three-quarters of the way thru the book the publisher
decided to make a MAJOR title change to fit it into a series.  It was
changed to "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ferrets".  Ack.  Barf.  Puke.
Ptooey.  I stomped my feet and yelled and cried.  I tried to explain how
much I hated the title, the very thought of it, and that ferret enthusiasts
would turn their noses up at the name alone.  I even lost sleep over it,
but I had little control over the matter.  So I had to reformat the entire
manuscript, push back the deadline and finish.  I submitted in May.  The
book was supposed to be out this month.  It was copy edited and was
determined to be about 368 pages with almost 100 pictures.  The editors
were impressed that very little editing needed to be done.  Phew.  I
breathed a sigh of relief that it was over.  My 23 ferrets once again saw
"mom" finally emerge from the office to play silly ferret games.  I got
paid for my work and waited patiently.  Some of you pre-ordered the book
from Amazon.com.  And I sent out my many genuinely heartfelt thanks to
those of you who helped me through the ordeal and provided me with greatly
needed support and information to make, what I believe, a wonderful book...
despite the title.  It's different from the others in that series because
it's very detailed and covers almost all the topics.  It's fun reading, but
has its serious sides too.

I was informed a little over a month ago that the publishing division that
puts out the "Complete Idiot's Guides" was sold to their rival company
that puts out the "For Dummies" series.  AAACK.  This time I hacked up a
furball.  More tears, stress and frustration.  The rights to publish
Complete Idiot's Guides was terminated and about 100 titles, including
mine, sat in limbo while the bigwigs of the two major companies haggled
over the rights to publish these manuscripts.  Mine was the furthest
along ... ready for press.  I've been informed this week that I need to
REWRITE my book once I receive the new contract in a couple weeks.  It
will then be titled (I cry as I type) "Ferrets for Dummies".  Sigh.  It's
not my fault.  Please don't throw ferret poopies at me.  So I'm waiting
for the new "Author's Guidelines" and pray that the book won't be changed
too much... and pray even harder that you, the ferret community, will give
it a try despite the stupid, idiotic disgusting title once it's out.  My
main concern is that content will be cut, thus changing the context.  I
have until Feb 1st or so to get the new manuscript to them.  More stress...
on top of a full-time job and running an exotic animal shelter which houses
over 75 animals.

SHELTERS: Last call... I have hundreds of shelters listed in the book and
I think they'll let me keep that section as and Appendix.  At least they
BETTER!  Most of you contacted me directly to list your information.  If
you've had any changes to your shelter, i.e. address, e-mail, website,
closing, contacts, new shelter, etc.  since May 1st, please e-mail me
privately so I can get in the changes.  Sigh.  I can't wait for this to
be over.

Hugs and Dooks to all,
Kim Schilling
www.animalsforawareness.org