Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:00:31 -0600
Hi everyone,

We have two new ferret babies- Matzo and Kugel Otterbutt. (don't laugh)..:)

We have had them for 1 1/2 weeks now and they were about 8 weeks when we
got them.  When we brought them home, we two big litter boxes along one
side of their home floor and they only used one of them ever, so we took
them out and they never have a problem anywhere else, so this part is
wonderful.

As I've been told, baby ferrets do sleep alot, which they do- we bring
them out to play 3 times a day- after they have been up about 5-10 minutes
and they have used their litterbox.  They bounce around and play with each
other and all over us and do the usual ferrety things like biting our feet
and climbing up into our clothes etc...they are great about interacting
with us when we sit on the floor with them and their toys but there is
just one problem- one of them bites- HARD- and won't let go.

They both bite, of course but much, MUCH less than when we first brought
them home.  We did the scruff- say NO and talk shame to them about the
first time they bite, and when they commit a second offense we do the
same all the way to a time out in the cage for a while.  Matzo seems to
have caught on to this quite well, but Kugel, I'm afraid of half the time
because when she DOES bite, she doesn't let go- it's incredible what we
have to do to get her off- could some of you give me some ideas on this?

I know baby ferrets don't like to be held much- because they are all about
playing constantly- so while they are out and we are playing (or not) I
pick them up periodically to cuddle them just for a minute - long enough
for them NOT to get a chance to bite me (positive prevention, in a way)-
so that each handling session is short but positive.  They both squirm
like crazy while I am doing this and if Kugel gets it in her head to bite
me - well it's a nightmare.  Matzo will mouth but has obviously learned
not to bite hard.

I know these girls just need to be taught- oh, the bitter apple seemed to
work quite well at least Matzo was adverse to it.  I'm not so sure that
Kugel hates the bitter apple.

Am I doing the right things???  Will it just take time?

Thanks,
Suka Malone

Suka Malone
Business Enterprises